Thursday, August 10, 2006

Video of the Day: A Tribe Called Quest: "Bonita Applebum"



As corny as this is going to sound, sometimes I feel that my life is a motion picture and the various Hip Hop tunes that I play ad nauseum are just the accompanying soundtrack. Whenever I am about to beat some bastard into oblivion, I can hear some ultra aggressive M.O.P tune deep in the recesses of my brain. Whenever I am in the middle of some heated political discussion where I am verbally decapitating some ass-hat republican, "Welcome to the Terrordome" by Public Enemy is the musicthat is playing. But whenever I see some woman that I am fond of, flashing her beautiful smile in my direction, her and I exchanging glances as I try to nonchalantly check out how phat her ass is, "Bonita Applebum" is the song playing in my head when all of this is going on. If I decide to approach said female, and months later we are in relationship bliss, taking romantic walks in the park only stopping to have a picnic where her and I steal kisses between bites of food, "Bonita Applebum" is still the song that plays in the background. Surprisingly, this song is noticeably absent when the woman in question is breaking up with me because I fucked her sister on the bed we share. Oh well..

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

it's probably very obvious that my teacher ass is on vacation right now since i am so quick to post a response to your blog, but oh well... i love tribe and i LOVE, love this song. brings back many memories.

BLESSD1 said...

Bonita Applebum was the gateway drug that turned me on to the Tribe....and I've been hooked since. I love how they were brave enough to rap about topics that other emcees were too hard to touch, and with a style that was different from anything else at that point. Excellent post!

Excelsior